Supporting Our Schools Makes a Real Impact
Pasadena Educational Foundation harnesses the power of our committed community to help to raise between $12 and $15 million dollars a year for the Pasadena Unified School District. Those funds include large government grants, foundation grants, and individual donations, which together help us support myriad essential programs from the large to the small. Some programs are run by PEF, others by PUSD, and still others represent various levels of partnership. From the smallest Friendship Bench to the largest Magnet Program, PEF works with our community partners to impact every student, every school, every day!
With support from our community we:
- Raised millions in grant money for our schools, including the $14.5 million Federal Magnet Grant.
- Helped PUSD to integrate arts education at every grade level through grants from the Rothenberg Art Fund and Tony Bennett’s Exploring the Arts Foundation.
- Piloted the middle school performing arts program, Open Stage serving 300 students at 5 schools with a $79,500 NEA Grant.
- Led 8,000 K-6 grade students on a cultural and artistic journey through 10 of our local world class museums with our My Masterpieces program. PEF was awarded a $20,000 Art Alliance Image Award to help support the My Masterpieces program.
- Expanded early education dance and theatre programs with integrated arts curriculum from PreK through the second grade throughout the district.
- Awarded 136 Teacher Grants to 169 educators including 18 school-wide grants totaling more than $200,000.
- Provided transportation for approximately 300 class field trips for thousands of students through our Field Trip Fund.
- Assisted in securing buses to take every third grader to learn water safety and swimming skills in the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center’s PUSD swim program.
- Bolstered access to vital services and healthy living resources at the new Office of Student and Family Services headquartered at Madison Elementary in the heart of our Northwest Pasadena community.
- Provided scholarships almost 40% of our more than 1,600 Summer Enrichment Program students.
- Distributed more than $50,000 in college scholarships.
- Secured $25,000 to provide summer internship stipends for 130 high school students.
- Supported each school’s Annual Fund efforts which collectively raised over $700,000.
- Developed the nationally recognized Realtor Initiative to partner with our community’s realtors to disseminates accurate information about our public schools.
- Expanded the School-Community Gardens to include 17 beautiful edible gardens and outdoor classrooms, including a master gardener and farm to table programs.
Supported the expansion of athletic programs and facilities including the renovation of Stadium 42, John Muir’s baseball field and a new scoreboard at Blair.
- Developed and incubated inventive STEM programs, such as the App Academy at Pasadena High, middle school robotics, 3D printing and virtual reality stations, and the new Math Academy that is radically accelerating mathematics instruction.
- And more…
We are making our schools and our community stronger. We couldn’t do it without you!
Here are our latest updates & stories.
A Summer Enrichment Program Message
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, and the current shelter-in-place order, we unfortunately will not be able to hold our traditional, in-person Summer Enrichment Program this year. With your important…
Salute to PUSD Food Services & Chick-fil-A
By Nancy Carol Inguanzo | PEF Volunteer & Engagement Manager Most of us are staying at home and cooking more, much more than we may like…. me included. Dishpan, “wash…
Celebrating Our Volunteers
Volunteer Spotlights National Volunteer Week 2020 National Volunteer Week 2020 feels particularly important this year. It gives us an opportunity to celebrate the compassion and generosity of so many of…
Volunteer Spotlight: Sylvio Montoya
Volunteer Week Spotlights: Sylvia Vega | Val Zavala | Community Groups by Brianna Chu Silvio Montoya has been a familiar face at Don Benito Fundamental School and Field Elementary School for…
Volunteer Spotlight: Celebrating Our Community Groups
Volunteer Week Spotlights: Sylvia Vega | Val Zavala | Felita Kealing | Community Groups |Sylvio Montoya By Nancy Carol Inguanzo | PEF Volunteer & Engagement Manager My great-grandmother Ruth was a…
Volunteer Spotlight: Felita Kealing
Volunteer Week Spotlights: Sylvia Vega | Val Zavala | Felita Kealing | Community Groups |Sylvio Montoya by Brianna Chu The Pasadena Educational Foundation (PEF) is led by a diverse group of…
PUSD Grab & Go Meals with Val Zavala
Volunteer Week Spotlights: Sylvia Vega | Val Zavala | Felita Kealing | Community Groups |Sylvio Montoya Our friend, anchor, producer and award-winning journalist, Val Zavala volunteered with the Pasadena Educational Foundation…
Volunteer Spotlight: Sylvia Vega
Volunteer Week Spotlights: Sylvia Vega | Val Zavala | Felita Kealing | Community Groups |Sylvio Montoya by Brianna Chu While Sylvia Vega has had a varied career, the connecting factor has…
Focusing our Efforts on the Immediate Needs of Our Community
Pasadena Educational Foundation’s annual Celebrating Our Schools event will be postponed due to the COVID-19 health crisis. PEF’s Board of Directors and staff have decided instead to focus our efforts…
Help Our Schools Thrive!
With your support the Pasadena Educational Foundation helps to create a vibrant and enriching educational experience for all public school children in Pasadena, Altadena, and Sierra Madre.