Supporting Our Schools Makes a Real Impact
Pasadena Educational Foundation harnesses the power of our committed community to help to raise between $12 and $15 million dollars a year for the Pasadena Unified School District. Those funds include large government grants, foundation grants, and individual donations, which together help us support myriad essential programs from the large to the small. Some programs are run by PEF, others by PUSD, and still others represent various levels of partnership. From the smallest Friendship Bench to the largest Magnet Program, PEF works with our community partners to impact every student, every school, every day!
With support from our community we:
- Raised millions in grant money for our schools, including the $14.5 million Federal Magnet Grant.
- Helped PUSD to integrate arts education at every grade level through grants from the Rothenberg Art Fund and Tony Bennett’s Exploring the Arts Foundation.
- Piloted the middle school performing arts program, Open Stage serving 300 students at 5 schools with a $79,500 NEA Grant.
- Led 8,000 K-6 grade students on a cultural and artistic journey through 10 of our local world class museums with our My Masterpieces program. PEF was awarded a $20,000 Art Alliance Image Award to help support the My Masterpieces program.
- Expanded early education dance and theatre programs with integrated arts curriculum from PreK through the second grade throughout the district.
- Awarded 136 Teacher Grants to 169 educators including 18 school-wide grants totaling more than $200,000.
- Provided transportation for approximately 300 class field trips for thousands of students through our Field Trip Fund.
- Assisted in securing buses to take every third grader to learn water safety and swimming skills in the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center’s PUSD swim program.
- Bolstered access to vital services and healthy living resources at the new Office of Student and Family Services headquartered at Madison Elementary in the heart of our Northwest Pasadena community.
- Provided scholarships almost 40% of our more than 1,600 Summer Enrichment Program students.
- Distributed more than $50,000 in college scholarships.
- Secured $25,000 to provide summer internship stipends for 130 high school students.
- Supported each school’s Annual Fund efforts which collectively raised over $700,000.
- Developed the nationally recognized Realtor Initiative to partner with our community’s realtors to disseminates accurate information about our public schools.
- Expanded the School-Community Gardens to include 17 beautiful edible gardens and outdoor classrooms, including a master gardener and farm to table programs.
Supported the expansion of athletic programs and facilities including the renovation of Stadium 42, John Muir’s baseball field and a new scoreboard at Blair.
- Developed and incubated inventive STEM programs, such as the App Academy at Pasadena High, middle school robotics, 3D printing and virtual reality stations, and the new Math Academy that is radically accelerating mathematics instruction.
- And more…
We are making our schools and our community stronger. We couldn’t do it without you!
Here are our latest updates & stories.
Extra Yard for Teachers Week Honors PUSD Teacher Cynthia Macias
Thank you Pasadena Tournament of Roses and CFP Foundation! Story courtesy Pasadena Tournament of Roses. The Pasadena Tournament of Roses Kicks Off Extra Yard for Teachers Week by Honoring Local…
Tapping Into Creativity with Good Vibes
By Nancy Carol Inguanzo | PEF Volunteer & Engagement Manager At the end of August, Pasadena Educational Foundation wrapped up our Good Vibes Volunteer effort. The program was launched…
A Day of Generosity and Remembrance
September 11, 2020 National Day of Service and Remembrance Remembering 9/11 feels particularly important this year. 2020 has been a difficult year for all of us. Yet, the shared adversity…
Art Matters In PUSD
by Nancy Carol Inguanzo, Community Engagement and Volunteer Manager One of the things I have been doing with my “unprecedented” time is watching Waldermar Januszczak documentaries about art. I love…
Thank You TIAA’s Pasadena Office!
Thank you to TIAA’s Pasadena office for once again supporting the Pasadena Educational Foundation. More than 50 employees donated more than 500 school and art supplies, and TIAA matched their…
Stepping Up To Serve
by Nancy Carol Inguanzo, Community Outreach & Volunteer Manager Last week, Pasadena Educational Foundation wrapped up managing curbside volunteers for PUSD summer Grab & Go meals. We’ve been assisting PUSD…
PEF & California Credit Union Honor PUSD Staff and Community Volunteer
Every year, the Pasadena Educational Foundation supports PUSD’s Welcome Back Event & Awards Ceremony to kick off the new school year. While this year we couldn’t do it in person…
PEF Summer 2020 Goes Digital: A Teacher’s View
The Pasadena Educational Foundation’s summer program moved online this year in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and teachers and students embarked on a whole new educational journey together. By the…
PFAR Hosts PUSD Realtors Table Talk
Recently, the Pasadena-Foothills Association of Realtors hosted a PUSD Realtors Table Talk: “Education in COVID-19.” As part of PFAR’s expanding PUSD initiative, the conversation featured Helen Chan Hill, director, Curriculum,…
Help Our Schools Thrive!
With your support the Pasadena Educational Foundation helps to create a vibrant and enriching educational experience for all public school children in Pasadena, Altadena, and Sierra Madre.