Supporting Our Schools Makes a Real Impact
Pasadena Educational Foundation harnesses the power of our committed community to help to raise between $12 and $15 million dollars a year for the Pasadena Unified School District. Those funds include large government grants, foundation grants, and individual donations, which together help us support myriad essential programs from the large to the small. Some programs are run by PEF, others by PUSD, and still others represent various levels of partnership. From the smallest Friendship Bench to the largest Magnet Program, PEF works with our community partners to impact every student, every school, every day!
With support from our community we:
- Raised millions in grant money for our schools, including the $14.5 million Federal Magnet Grant.
- Helped PUSD to integrate arts education at every grade level through grants from the Rothenberg Art Fund and Tony Bennett’s Exploring the Arts Foundation.
- Piloted the middle school performing arts program, Open Stage serving 300 students at 5 schools with a $79,500 NEA Grant.
- Led 8,000 K-6 grade students on a cultural and artistic journey through 10 of our local world class museums with our My Masterpieces program. PEF was awarded a $20,000 Art Alliance Image Award to help support the My Masterpieces program.
- Expanded early education dance and theatre programs with integrated arts curriculum from PreK through the second grade throughout the district.
- Awarded 136 Teacher Grants to 169 educators including 18 school-wide grants totaling more than $200,000.
- Provided transportation for approximately 300 class field trips for thousands of students through our Field Trip Fund.
- Assisted in securing buses to take every third grader to learn water safety and swimming skills in the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center’s PUSD swim program.
- Bolstered access to vital services and healthy living resources at the new Office of Student and Family Services headquartered at Madison Elementary in the heart of our Northwest Pasadena community.
- Provided scholarships almost 40% of our more than 1,600 Summer Enrichment Program students.
- Distributed more than $50,000 in college scholarships.
- Secured $25,000 to provide summer internship stipends for 130 high school students.
- Supported each school’s Annual Fund efforts which collectively raised over $700,000.
- Developed the nationally recognized Realtor Initiative to partner with our community’s realtors to disseminates accurate information about our public schools.
- Expanded the School-Community Gardens to include 17 beautiful edible gardens and outdoor classrooms, including a master gardener and farm to table programs.
Supported the expansion of athletic programs and facilities including the renovation of Stadium 42, John Muir’s baseball field and a new scoreboard at Blair.
- Developed and incubated inventive STEM programs, such as the App Academy at Pasadena High, middle school robotics, 3D printing and virtual reality stations, and the new Math Academy that is radically accelerating mathematics instruction.
- And more…
We are making our schools and our community stronger. We couldn’t do it without you!
Here are our latest updates & stories.
PEF Board President Receives Pasadena Women of Distinction Award from Assemblymember Chris Holden
Congratulations to Dr. Kathy Onoye! The Pasadena Educational Foundation’s Board president, Dr. Kathy Onoye, was selected to be this year’s recipient of the Women of Distinction Award for Pasadena. The…
Realtors Read Across PASadena
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.” – One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. What a wonderful morning sharing the joy…
Summer Sign-ups Kick Off at Westridge Fair
What a great day meeting new and returning families to our Summer Enrichment Program at the Westridge Summer Opportunities Fair. PEF is celebrating 15 years of providing our community’s children…
Exploring PUSD’s Remarkable Architecture
Together with Pasadena Heritage, Pasadena Education Network, and our local realtors, PEF hosted a public tour of 4 of PUSD’s remarkable collection of public school buildings that date from the…
Breaking Ground with C5LA Youth Leadership Team
” I enjoyed working side by side with this group of young people who took on the hard work and made the day enjoyable.” –Katia Ahmed, Farm to School Coordinator…
Oak Groves & Sculputure at Descanso Gardens
New this year to the My Masterpieces program is a pilot project with Descanso Gardens for the 3rd graders. Students were engaged, prepared, and excited to be outside on the…
App Academy at Spokeo
This spring, 55 App Academy sophomores were invited to spend the day at Spokeo, a Pasadena-based software company. The students were given advice and encouragement from Spokeo engineers, programmers, and…
Our School Gardens Are Growing at Franklin Farms
Our newest school community garden, Fox Farms, is now open at Franklin Elementary School. The garden was developed thanks to a grant from the Pasadena Community Gardens Conservancy to the…
Celebrating Madison’s New School Community Garden
Madison Elementary School has a new garden. Thanks to a grant from the Pasadena Community Gardens Conservancy to PEF and PUSD, the new Madison Elementary garden will bring families, school…
Help Our Schools Thrive!
With your support the Pasadena Educational Foundation helps to create a vibrant and enriching educational experience for all public school children in Pasadena, Altadena, and Sierra Madre.