Pasadena Educational Foundation celebrated our 14th annual Principal for a Day event with 33 extraordinary community members serving as guest principals at each of our unique Pasadena Unified School District campuses.
Principal for a Day helps engage our community with our schools by inviting community business and civic leaders to spend a morning with a school principal, giving them a rare and valuable perspective of running a public school.
Great schools don’t just happen; it takes a community dedication to education to make a difference. Through Principal for a Day, PEF has now involved almost 500 community members and helped build lasting relationships between the schools, businesses, and the wider community.
Each of our guest principals had a unique and powerful experience as they learned about the opportunities, challenges, achievements, and importance of our public schools.
The morning event was followed by a luncheon with guest speaker award-winning journalist Val Zavala. During the luncheon participants shared their diverse experiences. [Click here for a full list of guest principals]
Some highlights include:
- Retired Judge Lance Ito and entrepreneur Alejandra Font were greeted by an orchestra performance and toured the LA County Teen Court at Pasadena High School.
- Author Mary Lea Carol & Altadena Town Council Member Sylvia Vega were welcomed by a musical performance in English, Spanish, and French at Altadena Arts Magnet.
- Award-winning journalist Val Zavala rocked out with Eliot Arts Magnet rock band and was transported to the set of Hairspray through the magic of the costume shop.
- Sierra Madre Mayor John Harabedian toured the beautiful Don Benito Elementary school campus at the top of Hastings Ranch.
- JPL Strategic Planner Robert Hanna explored the innovative Design Lab at Washington Steam Multilingual Academy.
Interested in becoming a Pasadena Unified Principal for a Day? Contact Tony Gordo at 626.396.3625 or via email at email@example.com