Volunteer Classroom Assistant
Summer Enrichment Program,
June 12-June 13, 2017
Monday-Thursday, 7:45 am-12:30 pm
By providing targeted hands-on support, the Volunteer Classroom Assistant will enable instructors to utilize a maximum of materials and activities and to better meet the individual needs of students . At the same time, Volunteer Classroom Assistants will receive community service hours and invaluable experience working in a teaching or administrative environment where they can share their subject knowledge and interest with students ages K-8th grade. Volunteers must commit to a minimum of one week, although a two-week minium is preferred in order to build a relationship with the students and teacher. Volunteers who commit to serving the full five weeks become eligible in their second year to apply for a limited number of paid internships, and can be considered for regular teaching assistant positions during a third a year. The Volunteer Classroom Assistant reports to the Classroom Teacher, to the Site Coordinator, and to PEF Volunteer Coordinator, Allison Pultz, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Key responsibilities of the position include:
- Provide support to the teacher with material organization and lesson preparation;
- Provide support to children in specific subject matter on an individual or small group basis to reinforce learning concepts;
- Provide extra help to children with special needs;
- Motivate and encourage pupils;
- Assist with marking and correcting work;
- Assist with on-going classroom organization and clean-up;
- Assist with dismissal between classes and at the end of the day;
- Attend weekly group check-in meetings.
Key skills for classroom assistants: