Supporting Our Schools Makes a Real Impact
Pasadena Educational Foundation harnesses the power of our committed community to help to raise between $12 and $15 million dollars a year for the Pasadena Unified School District. Those funds include large government grants, foundation grants, and individual donations, which together help us support myriad essential programs from the large to the small. Some programs are run by PEF, others by PUSD, and still others represent various levels of partnership. From the smallest Friendship Bench to the largest Magnet Program, PEF works with our community partners to impact every student, every school, every day!
With support from our community, this year we:
- Raised millions in grant money for our schools, including the $14.5 million Federal Magnet Grant.
- Helped PUSD to integrate arts education at every grade level through grants from the Rothenberg Art Fund and Tony Bennett’s Exploring the Arts Foundation.
- Piloted the middle school performing arts program, Open Stage serving 300 students at 5 schools with a $79,500 NEA Grant.
- Led 9,000 students on a cultural and artistic journey through 11 of our local world class museums with our My Masterpieces program. PEF was awarded a $20,000 Art Alliance Image Award to help support the My Masterpieces program.
- Expanded early education dance and theatre programs with integrated arts curriculum from PreK through the second grade throughout the District.
- Awarded 125 Teacher Grants to 190 educators including 14 school-wide grants totaling more than $200,000.
- Provided transportation for approximately 300 class field trips for thousands of students through our Field Trip Fund.
- Assisted in securing buses to take every third grader to learn water safety and swimming skills in the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center’s PUSD swim program.
- Bolstered access to vital services and healthy living resources at the new Office of Student and Family Services headquartered at Madison Elementary in the heart of our Northwest Pasadena community.
- Provided scholarships to 40% of our more than 1,500 Summer Enrichment Program students.
- Distributed more than $50,000 in college scholarships.
- Secured $25,000 to provide summer internship stipends for 130 high school students.
- Supported each school’s Annual Fund efforts which collectively raised over $700,000.
- Developed the nationally recognized Realtor Initiative to partner with our community’s realtors to disseminates accurate information about our public schools.
- Expanded the School-Community Gardens to include 19 beautiful edible gardens and outdoor classrooms, including a master gardener and farm to table programs.
- Developed and incubated inventive STEM programs, such as the App Academy at Pasadena High, middle school robotics, 3D printing and virtual reality stations, and the new Math Academy that is radically accelerating mathematics instruction.
- And more…
We are making our schools and our community stronger. We couldn’t do it without you!
Here are our latest updates & stories.
The Pasadena Educational Foundation, with support from community sponsors, welcomed back 2,000 Pasadena Unified School District teachers, staff, and administrators this week with a breakfast held at Pasadena High School.…
What an exhilarating evening! Not only did our Celebrating Our Schools BREAKTHROUGH 2018 guests hear amazing speakers, share wonderful conversations, and eat fantastic food, but they got hands-on and had…
Mario and Luigi costumed high school students? Robots fighting over yellow bricks? Air horns? Before students headed off for spring break, Wilson Middle School’s Robotics students headed to Pomona Fairplex…
Congratulations to Dr. Kathy Onoye! The Pasadena Educational Foundation’s Board president, Dr. Kathy Onoye, was selected to be this year’s recipient of the Women of Distinction Award for Pasadena. The…